Dataw's Cotton Dike Course Ranks in South Carolina's 50 Best Courses
Every two years, a panel of industry, media and golfing professionals, representing a diverse range of occupations, handicaps and backgrounds travel all over South Carolina identifying the best of the 474 golf courses. Rankings are derived from a number of factors including:
- Routing – How the course flows from hole to hole in harmony with existing topography.
- Variety – Degree to which the course demands a full range of shot requirements.
- Strategy – How design features test course management.
- Equity – The course’s capacity to reward good shots and penalize poor ones.
- Memorability – The distinctiveness of the golf course and its individual holes.
- Aesthetics – The degree to which scenery and surrounds lend to the enjoyment.
- Experience – Incorporates all elements of the course: practice areas, clubhouse and more.
The objective of the South Carolina Golf Course Ratings Panel is to promote excellence in SC golf course design and operations through competitive rankings, education and public advocacy. The Panel serves as an ambassador for golf in South
Carolina by striving to stimulate and facilitate the promotion and marketing of outstanding golf courses, resorts and real estate developments.
To obtain a rating, Dataw Island was required to solicit 15 panel members to come out and play both the Cotton Dike and Morgan River courses – a deliberate process that has taken nearly two years to complete.
“We reached out to the SC Golf Course Ratings Panel in 2014 and have been working ever since to try and achieve a ranking,” Ted Bartlett, Dataw Island General Manager said.
Dataw Island’s Cotton Dike course is a recently renovated Tom Fazio design that has hosted the 2015 CGA Senior Amateur, the 2015 South Carolina Open and is slated to host the 2016 South Carolina Open this year, along with many other amateur and professional events. The course is lushly appointed with Live Oak trees, impeccable landscaping and stunning marsh views that give it a uniquely LowCountry feel.
“Dataw was pleased to make the list at number 50 and looks forward to the chance to improve our ranking going forward,” Bartlett said. “Now that we have achieved a rating for Cotton Dike our hope is that we will be able to receive a rating for Morgan River as well.”